Mind in the City, Hackney and Waltham Forest increasingly depends on the fundraising efforts of our community. This month we spoke to our community fundraising team to get their best ideas for fundraising activities that anybody could try if they’re wanting to raise some money for local mental health services.
If you’re interested in raising money for Mind in the City, Hackney and Waltham Forest, our fundraising team have given some of their best ideas to help you raise money below!
“Thank you so much for choosing to fundraise for Mind in the City, Hackney and Waltham Forest! If you’re thinking of trying any of the below ideas, we’d love to hear from you. We have lots of advice, collection tins, tshirts and funraising packs that we’d love to send you. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to our team and kick start your fundraising!” – Lizzy Woods – Community Fundraising Lead
- Host a collection at a local sports match
- Contact any sports clubs in your area (Third and fourth division football clubs are especially good for this) and ask them if you and some friends or family can do a collection at the start, half time and the end. If they agree, ask if they would mention it in the programme the week before or on the day and announce it over the tannoy to make sure that everyone knows that you’re there!
- Collections at service stations or train stations
- Grab a few friends or family and contact the individual service or train stations’ manager for permission. Once you’ve got their permission, you just need to pick a day and get fundraising! To get people’s attention, why not try fancy dress?
- Bag packing/collection at local supermarket
- Get some friends together and contact the supermarket manager to get a day booked for you to come in. Once you and your team are booked in, you just need to show up with some fundraising buckets and your best bag packing skills! Please keep in mind that supermarket managers receive a lot of requests so, if you have a date in mind, you will need to contact them as soon as possible as they book up in advance.
- Quiz night at local pub
- If your local pub already holds a quiz night, speak to the organisers and see whether the proceeds for one quiz night can be donated to Mind in the City, Hackney and Waltham Forest. If they say yes, ask whether it would be possible for the quizmaster to shout this out to encourage people to donate! If your pub doesn’t already hold a quiz, speak to the landlord about your idea.
- Piggyback other events
- Look out for local events such as summer fates or local dances where you can hold a tombola, raffle or cake stall to raise donation money.
- Donation rather then birthday presents
- If you have a birthday coming up, ask for donations instead of presents. You can contact us and ask for a sponsorship sheet, set up an online giving page or create a Facebook Birthday Giving page.
- Dress down day/non uniform day
- These work well in your children’s school or in the workplace, charge each person £1/£2 to dress down for the day.
- Set up an online donation form and email to everyone
- Set up a personal online donation page on JustGiving. You can share the link on social media or email it to all of your friends and family who can then donate online, quickly and easily.
- Fancy dress pub crawl
- This can be great fun and is very popular with our supporters! You will need to plan your route beforehand and get permission from all the pub managers involved. Once you’ve let pub managers know that you’re coming, think about asking the pubs to provide you all with a free drink when you go in and then charge your friends £10 to join the pub crawl.
- Skills auction
- Get your colleagues to donate their ‘skills’ from dressmaking to tea making and everything in between! Get your boss to offer to make the tea or wash someone’s car and watch the bidding shoot up!
If you’re interested in raising money for Mind in the City, Hackney and Waltham Forest, we’d love to hear about it! Email email@example.com to speak to our dedicated team.